At-home Bible Study: 1 John
January 10, 2021 to March 6, 2021
To be a stranger to the Bible is to be a stranger to God himself. Reading the Bible is not a discipline for the intellectual or avid reader alone. If we desire to know God and live a life honoring to Him, we must know the Good news revealed in Scripture. The Bible even says so:
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man (or woman) of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Intentional time in God's Word is critical and life-giving. That is why we have put together what we hope is an accessible and relational approach to reading the most important thing you'll ever read--the Bible.
Bible Reading Schedule & Weekly Devotional Videos
- Week 1 / Jan 10-16 • Read all of 1 John in one sitting (at least 3 times)
- Week 2 / Jan 17-23 • 1 John 1:1-2:6
- Week 3 / Jan 24-30 • 1 John 2:7-17
- Week 4 / Jan 31-Feb 6 • 1 John 2:18-3:10
- Week 5 / Feb 7-13 • 1 John 3:11-4:6
- Week 6 / Feb 14-20 • 1 John 4:7-21
- Week 7 / Feb 21-27 • 1 John 5:1-12
- Week 8 / Feb 28-Mar 6 • 1 John 5:13-21
|Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Week 8|
Join us for an 8-week study through the New Testament book of 1 John, at home.
This is an at-home, personal time of Bible reading, prayer, and journaling. We encourage you to spend You can see this leader as a way to invite a brother or sister in Christ into your questions, concerns, joys, and discoveries as you read. The Bible does not have to feel intimidating and inaccessible. Women will be matched with women; men with men.
How to engage during the eight weeks:
- REGISTER ONLINE: It's free. When you register, each participant will receive a FREE ESV Scripture Journal, and get our weekly video devotionals via email addressing our passage of the week.
- Follow our reading schedule through 1 John, reading the same passage each day of the week. Repetitive reading is key, here.
- Each week all participants will receive a short devotional video via email from Pastor Pete, covering the passage of the week.
- Follow Jen Wilkin's Three Stages of Understanding The Bible, or some other tool of your choice for interacting with Scripture (see below).
- Journal, take notes, highlight or mark concepts and words that are confusing or striking.
- Each participant will receive a free 1 John ESV Scripture journal by Crossway.
- Reading with a friend or study partner is a great way to sharpen one-another on your journey of knowing God more.
Commentaries (for purchase):
- Colin Kruse - The Letters of John
- Robert W. Yarbrough - 1-3 John
- Stephen Smalley - 1,2,3 John
- James montgomery Boice - Philippians
Commentaries (for free):
Three Stages of Understanding The Bible:*
Stage 1: What does it say?
- Are certain words, phrases, or ideas repeated?
- Is a particular attribute of God illustrated or celebrated?
- Are there words you don't understand?
- Is an idea confusing or particularly striking?
Stage 2: What does it mean?
- Can you attempt to put this passage in your own words?
- Check with cross-references (indicated by the small, superscript numbers by the text)
- Once you've attempted to understand it on your own, consult with commentaries.
Stage 3: How should it change me?
- What does this passage teach me about God?
- How does this aspect of God's character change my view of self?
- What should I do, believe, or feel in response?
*From Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin